Early warning · Shipping insurance · Persian Gulf

Insurance moved ahead of every other price in the Gulf

The underwriters priced the strait shut before any government dared to say it out loud, and now every barrel that moves does so on their terms.

Hormuz half-open: tanker fleet prices in recovery hope - Reuters
ReutersAugust 23, 2026

Two things are true in the Strait of Hormuz right now and they cannot both hold. The American president insists the strait is open, and Iran insists it is shut, and Donald Trump said outright on August 18 that no talks were taking place with Tehran even as both governments claimed control of the same waterway (US News, Aug 18). Meanwhile the ships are deciding the argument without them. The number of oil tankers transiting the strait dropped to just one on a recent Thursday, the lowest count since May 7 (Maaal, Aug 2026), and UK Maritime Trade Operations reported only nine tankers passing in seventy-two hours earlier this month (Ajel English citing UKMTO, Aug 11).

The contradiction underneath is about money, not missiles. War-risk premiums for a single Hormuz transit have tripled and now cost around $21 million per voyage (Eastern Herald, Jul 24), holding at 7.5 to 10 percent of hull value even as the strait partly reopens (CruxBrief, Aug 13). Before the war, cover for the passage ran between 0.02 and 0.05 percent of a ship's value (bssc.pl, Mar 29). That is a repricing by two hundred times or more. A shipowner can physically sail the strait. What he cannot do is explain to his board why he bet the hull on it.

This is why insurance moved first. Freight rates can be paid and recouped in a charter dispute. Oil prices absorb a risk premium quietly. But an underwriter who writes a policy at yesterday's rate and loses the ship eats the entire loss personally, so the people with capital at risk reprice within days, sometimes hours. Brokers quoted Gulf cover at as much as a tenth of a vessel's hull value in July (AGBI, Jul 21), and a senior manager at Marsh said underwriters were growing reluctant to write Hormuz business at all even as attacks intensified (S&P Global Commodity Insights, Jul 22). The premium is the market's honest opinion, delivered before anyone's foreign ministry will give theirs.

Name the actors. The shipowners, mostly Greek, Chinese and Emirati interests flying assorted flags, want to sail because idle tonnage burns money and their charters pay on delivery. The London mutuals and the Joint War Committee want either a premium that compensates the true risk or no policy at all, and they have chosen the second where the first cannot be computed. Washington wants the strait declared open without committing the naval escorts that would make it so. Iran wants the waterway recognized as its lever while avoiding the strike on Gulf Arab oil infrastructure that would finish off its own economy. The Gulf states, Saudi Arabia and the UAE above all, want their exports flowing and are caught paying the toll either way.

The strait opens when the underwriters say it does, not when Washington or Tehran announces it.
Shipping insurance costs spike in the Middle East as Israel-Iran conflict rages

Washington did try to buy its way past the underwriters. President Trump directed the US International Development Finance Corporation into war-risk cover in early March (Breitbart, Mar 3), and DFC partnered with Chubb on a maritime reinsurance program worth up to $20 billion (Yahoo Finance, 2026), later expanded to $40 billion total capacity with additional American insurers joining (Beinsure, 2026). It has not worked. Two months after launch, not a single dollar of coverage had been provided (Financial Times via The Cradle, May 18), and Chubb chief executive Evan Greenberg told investors the scheme was built to sit behind a US-run convoy system, which has never materialized at scale (Insurance Business Mag, citing Apr 22 earnings call). A $40 billion guarantee with no escorts is a promise the owners can read straight through, which is exactly what they did.

The trigger this summer was the strikes on Iran and the mining and missile campaign that followed. But the slow pressure is older: roughly a fifth of the world's oil leaves through a passage where the shipping lanes narrow to about two miles wide, with no alternative route (analysis of the chokepoint, Aug 2026). Every crisis since 1984 has taught the insurance market the same lesson, that the strait is one incident away from being unusable, and each crisis ratchets the baseline higher. This year simply removed the last doubt. Ships are now masking their identities to cross, switching transponders off as they pass Bandar Abbas (Al Jazeera, Aug 20), which tells you the remaining traffic is not confident traffic. It is desperate traffic.

History gives us one bounded model. In the Tanker War of 1984 to 1988, Iraqi and Iranian attacks on merchant shipping pushed Lloyd's premiums from a fraction of a percent toward several percent of hull value per transit, and the market stayed open because underwriters kept writing and navies kept reflagging Kuwaiti tankers. When the ceasefire came, rates fell back within weeks. The counterargument to today's panic is exactly that: premiums are elastic, they collapse when the shooting stops, and the current quotes could halve on one signed document. What is different now is scale and speed. Modern war risk is concentrated in fewer hands, a single transit costs tens of millions rather than hundreds of thousands (Eastern Herald, Jul 24), and there is no equivalent of the 1980s reflagging surge ready to move.

The consequences walk downhill in a straight line. First, Asian refiners buying Gulf crude pay more either in freight, in insurance passed through the charter, or in the discount demanded to load at all. Second, the shadow fleet profits, because ships already sanctioned and already excluded from mainstream cover lose less from losing it; Lloyd's List Intelligence tracked four shadow-fleet tankers shifting into compliant trades through Hormuz as legitimate owners pulled back (Lloyds List Intelligence, Aug 12). Third, the Gulf states themselves start self-insuring and routing around the market, which is how a regional insurance hub dies. Qatar's LNG cargoes face the same arithmetic, and fertilizer flows through the strait are exposed alongside fuel (Gulf News, Mar 5).

Who pays is settled: the shipowner first, then the Asian refinery, then the motorist months later. Who profits is narrower: the few underwriters willing to write at the top-of-market rates quoted in July are earning a year of ordinary premium per voyage (AGBI, Jul 21), and the tanker owners whose vessels are already covered under annual policies struck before March are carrying cargo their competitors refuse. The rest of the industry is running its fleet on hope and hull value.

If the read is right, watch the premium, not the press conferences. Confirmation comes when quoted Hormuz war-risk rates fall below 1 percent of hull value without escorts, which would mean underwriters see a durable settlement. The read breaks if the DFC-Chubb facility actually binds its first escorted convoy and transits recover within weeks, proving the state backstop, not the private market, was always the real price-setter. Either way the sequence is fixed: the strait opens when London says it does, not when Washington or Tehran announce it. The most powerful voice in the Persian Gulf this year speaks from Lime Street, and it charges by the voyage.

Citations · every claim, one line
01CruxBrief, Aug 13 2026 — war-risk premiums holding at 7.5–10% of hull value despite partial reopening
02Eastern Herald, Jul 24 2026 — premiums tripled, ~$21 million to insure a single voyage
03AGBI, Jul 21 2026 — brokers quoting Gulf cover up to a tenth of hull value
04S&P Global Commodity Insights, Jul 22 2026 — Marsh on rising Middle East shipping insurance costs
05Financial Times (via The Cradle), May 18 2026 — $40bn DFC scheme had covered zero ships
06Insurance Business Mag / Chubb Q1 earnings call, Apr 22 2026 — Evan Greenberg on convoy dependency
07Beinsure, 2026 — DFC-Chubb facility expanded to $40bn capacity
08US News, Aug 18 2026 — Trump says strait open, no Iran talks
09Ajel English citing UKMTO, Aug 11 2026 — nine tankers in 72 hours
10Maaal, Aug 2026 — tanker transits down to one, lowest since May 7
11Al Jazeera, Aug 20 2026 — ships masking identities crossing Hormuz
12Lloyds List Intelligence, Aug 12 2026 — product tanker transits and shadow-fleet shifts

Documents referenced above are archived at retrieval · snapshot hash not recorded

ALPHA
Alpha
The ARCANE research desk. Every piece is researched against primary sources and live data and published only once the evidence clears the desk's threshold.
Follow this thread

Notified only if a confirming or invalidating observation is recorded.